Wednesday, 26 June 2013

MARIYLN... CANVAS


For this project i took my inspiration from the 'POP ART' Period of Art. Its a very expressive period where artists tried different approaches to art and some looked at the 'Modern World and Environment' for their inspiration. This project looked towards Andy Warhol and Piet Mondrian i have linked them to a Wikipedia page so that you can look further into their work if your interested.
Right back to the project.... The main stamp is from a NEW COLLOCATION of Rubber Stamps from DEEP RED that are available from THATS CRAFTY ON LINE. But be quick as they are very very popular.

WHAT WAS USED IN THIS PROJECT:

12 inch Square Basic Cheap Canvas.
Basic RED - GREEN - YELLOW - BLUE and BLACK Acrylic Paints [There is a wide collection of paints available from Thats Crafty on Line.]
Low Tack Masking Tape
Paint Brush
Metallic Silver Paper
TIM HOLTZ Ruler
Sharp Tipped Craft Knife
3 Sheets A4 White Glossy Paper
StaZon Black Ink Pad and Stamp Cleaner
Stamping Mount
Fine Clear Embossing Powder
Heat Gun
Cosmic Shimmer Black Pearl PVA
Black Waterproof Pen
Mod Podge Matte
Strong Double Sided Tape
Indian Ink Sprays - Red-Green-Yellow-Blue [Made up using Indian Inks and a Mister Bottle]
Clear Strong Silicone Glue
Measuring/Positional Ruler

LETS MAKE A POP ART POSTER!

For a change this time we don't have to Gesso the the canvas as we will be using block colours, in hindsight maybe i should have as when l removed the tape there was a bit of paint under the tape. i don't know if gesso would have helped maybe if you try this project and use gesso you can let us all know for reference.
So after deciding where the blocks of colour were going to be, by layering down low tack masking tape we can in theory leave a 'Sharpish edge' to the lines.

We can split this project into 3 parts. Part 1- The Canvas. Part 2 - The Stamped Image. Part 3 - Construction.


Selecting the colours that's going to be used. Here i have tried to keep it to basic 'block' colours.


Using Low Tack masking Tape areas of colour were marked out. if you don't have this type of tape then by just removing some of the glue on the tape by laying down onto a pr of jeans or the such like just to make the glue less tacky. Cheap tape is easier to do this kind of thing with.


After the tape had been placed onto the canvas and then blocks of paint placed into the squares, before the paint has 'Cured' by this i mean the paint has dried and become 'Solid'


As you can see under some of the tape the paint has bleed under. Some of the lines are crisper. Maybe the surface of the canvas as it was not smooth also compounded this situation.


This part was not something i had planned to do. So by taking some silver metallic paper and the ruler [WITH A METAL STRAIGHT EDGE] and a Sharp tipped crafting knife i used one of the lines on the ruler to give me a straight line as well as the width of the silver paper. This was going to be just wide enough to cover the over spill but not wide enough so that the spaces between were going to made to small.


After the paper was secured a layer of Mod Podge was placed first over the colour blocks. This was done to make sure that the Mod Podge did not re-wet the paint and cause the paint to be smeared over the other colours and the white borders. When this was dry i then laid a layer of M-P over the whole canvas to seal it. While it was left to Air dry we can start Part 2.


The first thing to do is to decide on what size your stamping card will be. This saves a lot of time later as pre-cut once you have decided where the stamp lays on it your able to judge where to stamp over a few card bases.Using the base of the stamp we are able to judge where the final image will be placed.


As the surface of the card base is glossy it gives us a little time to then place the stamped image into [i have a tub of fine clear embossing powder] and then cover the card with the powder using an old spoon.


Once all the cards had then be heat set by melting the powder using the ruler and a waterproof pen i drew a box around the image using the edge of the card as a guide. This measurement was used on all the cards to uniform them.


Once the pen mark had dried using the Cosmic Shimmer Black Pearl PVA Glue i placed a dot at each corner.

i filled some misters with Indian Inks. i wanted to use this form of medium as it holds much better on a gloss surface as well as able to hold its own colour hue when each layer is dry. The inks were not expensive. i keep those for when i'm dong fine lines and lettering.

 i opted to use a strong double sided tape [i also used a strong clear glue just for added strength!]. i wanted the stamped imagery to be as permanent as possible and the wet glue enabled me to position the card.


By using a ruler that enables me to position items i was able to glue the cards in a uniform grid.

There we have it a POP ART project that can be done using any stamp that has a figure as the image. You can also maybe look at Birds, Dogs, Cats etc. its just a fun project that can be taken apart and used in other projects and not just this one.

if you have any questions please contact me and i will get back to you a.s.a.p. 

1 comment:

  1. you did it again Alan, it's beautiful! After looking at both of the images, with and without the silver, I like it with the silver. I think the silver frames works well with the lined frames around Marilyn plus I like the corner dots on the frame.
    Vicky Briggs

    ReplyDelete

Please leave your message here. As soon as it has been verified it will be shown on the blog. This is to just keep out spammers and people who would like to sell their products and not show an interest in what they have see on my blog. Thanks for your patience in this matter